Sunday, December 29, 2013

The Reading Railroad

Child And Book
http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/view-image.php?image=37785
[Dear Diary,]

Until recently I'd forgotten how much I love to read. In the past week, I've gone through some good books. Some of the best were Phillip Roth's Everyman, Voltaire's Candide, Stephen Hawkings's My Brief History and Lisa Randall's Higgs Discovery: The Power of Empty Space.

In the past, some of my friends have said to me that, for various reasons, they "don't like to read very much". I've empathized. Books have never seemed as innately engaging to me as screen-delivered entertainment. In the past couple years especially I've largely abandoned reading in my leisure time. Instead, I've watched lectures, information-rich web shows, movies, etc.

What I've rediscovered lately is that books make life richer and more interesting. For me, the drive to read is connected to feelings of curiosity and determination to figure things out. When I was a child, those feelings were totally irrepressible. In recent years, they've been less pronounced. I think the relationship between those desires and the consumption of literature is basically symbiotic.

No comments:

Post a Comment